Sunday, August 5, 2012

Transgenderism

Nicholas Teich wrote the book Transgender 101: A Simple Guide to a Complex Issue .  Since he works at a camp for transgender youth, he wanted to be able to have a detailed (but not too technical) description of transgenderism, what the kids are going through, and information for parents/family/friends. The book has great ratings.
One of his statements I love is:
Imagine resigning yourself to not ever using the bathroom in a public place. For trans people, this is often a reality. Those who are in transition or do not pass on the outside as "clearly male" or "clearly female" are thrown out of both men's and women's restrooms on a daily basis. Some places provide "unisex" or "family" restrooms, but the majority do not. If a transperson wants to go out and enjoy a concert, sporting event, or simply a day outside the home, he or she must make concessions that most people never have to think about.

 At my work, since we have people who are or have transitioned, we have two "unisex" bathrooms.  They are individual bathrooms that anyone can use. 

Does this fix the issue or just put a band-aid over it and mask the problem.  Like I tell my team, just a few bad apples will spoil the bunch.  What I mean by that is just a few "perverts" (you know who you are) dress up like women so they can get into the women's restroom to harass them (or worse). That is demented because 1. women going to the bathroom is not pretty.  As George Lopez (I think) said, "I eat from that taco stand."  2. if a woman was going to the bathroom for some sort of sexual encounter, I think she would have picked her mate before going in.  Maybe I am wrong, but quicky bathroom sex is not like a White Elephant Gift.  You want to know what you get before opening.

Gender Expression is a huge topic that is NEVER discussed because it is very touchy.  Too much to go into on this post, but how do you want to be seen (gender wise)?  How do you feel?  Does that change day to day? (Yes it does, for me).  There are days I just want to be a girl.  There are other days I'm just a guy.  I know who I am and am happy with that. 

As a friend with many tattoos said "the difference between those with tattoos and those without?  The ones with tattoos don't mind you not having any."  There are so many ways to apply that.

Hugs.

-Candi

No comments:

Post a Comment